• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
best bring in the Disc Doctor

skip-doctor.jpg

MrChocolate

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Ah yes the magical disc drive in my console that can read all previous generations of games…

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Lmao I wonder why he feels that way.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Of course the CEO of a company that sells physical media would say this. lol lol lol

lmao, even.

skip-doctor.jpg
Man, I worked at an EB Games around 2001 when they were pushing these pieces of shit hard. Who would even need this? How does a disc end up so badly damaged it needs to be resurfaced? Fucking animals.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
They helped kill the disc drive, hiding the new copies own the back of the shop and only second hand stuff everywhere.

LuigiV

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Perth, Australia
I mean, he's not wrong, but it's pretty obvious the consumer's perspective is not the primary reason he holds that opinion.

delete

Jul 4, 2019
I agree that having a physical drive/media for games is beneficial for consumers, but mandating that all hardware have a disc drive is going too far.

The medium is moving towards digital licenses and subscriptions, for the most part it can't be stopped.

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I worked at an EB Games around 2001 when they were pushing these pieces of shit hard. Who would even need this? How does a disc end up so badly damaged it needs to be resurfaced? Fucking animals.
me okay god

Look my friends and I were a bunch of 6-7 year olds constantly trading games. Needless to say things got a little scratchy. This contraption definitely saved a couple of our discs from total oblivion back in the day.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
this is kinda what sony is doing already aint it?

where the console itself will be digital, and the drive is optional and removeable?

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
me okay god

Look my friends and I were a bunch of 6-7 year olds constantly trading games. Needless to say things got a little scratchy. This contraption definitely saved a couple of our discs from total oblivion back in the day.
It doesn't change the fact that the company only pushed these so hard because some bozo at corporate got bamboozled into buying way, way too many of them. Hope he at least got a good blowie out of it.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017

skip-doctor.jpg
Man, I miss Blockbuster, at least the Mexican version and specifically the one near my parent's place.
They would sell buy used games after they passed a "visual" test by the clerk (as in, they weren't scratched like hell), but allowed you to return them and give it a polishing/buff in one of their machines, if the game still didn't work (they would install it in a 360 console in front of you), you'd either get the money back or get another copy. They even offered the service for free if you bought one or two packs of microwave popcorn in case you had another damaged disc at home, lmao.

Hell, at some point they rented the game you previously bought so you could take that one home, install it, give it back and use the damaged disc to boot the game. I really liked buying stuff from there, good times. That's how I managed to score a copy of Guitar Hero 5 and Splinter Cell Blacklist, which were kinda rare to find over here.

Willin

Oct 28, 2017
Of course the guy running a company that is dependent on physical games media wants physical games media to be a continuing function.

Oct 25, 2017
Of course the CEO of a company that sells physical media would say this. lol lol lol

lmao, even.

Older CDs maybe, but aren't DVDs and especially Blu Rays way harder to scuff up enough to be unreadable?

Edit - I think it's actually just Blu-Ray

Oct 28, 2017
Australia
That's ridiculous. They can't just allocate wall space to *checks notes* "video games". Where will all the plushies, Bertie Botts Beans, sale tshirts, replica lightsabers and Funko Pops live?

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
As much as people hate GameStop, and as much as they've done scummy shit in the past, this is exactly why I'm fine shopping there. For (admittedly entirely selfish reasons), they're going to be extremely aligned with those of us who want to encourage physical releases because their entire business model relies on it. They're a non-insignificant force that will continue to push for physical games.

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I mean on one hand, lol. On the other, disc drives (at least the existence/option of) IS a win for consumers. So.

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
Hes not wrong. I'd rather not lose my console library just because they decide to shutter their services on the console. Hasn't happened but it will eventually.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm fine with SSDs, don't want to go back to HDDs.
Disc drives should stay though.

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
As much as people hate GameStop, and as much as they've done scummy shit in the past, this is exactly why I'm fine shopping there. For (admittedly entirely selfish reasons), they're going to be extremely aligned with those of us who want to encourage physical releases because their entire business model relies on it. They're a non-insignificant force that will continue to push for physical games.
Uneasy alliance.

Xion_Stellar

Oct 25, 2017
I agree physical media should never go away and I would hate to see a workd where we go full digital.

I'm grateful that the 2nd hand market in Japan is still really strong because that means that atleast for Nintendo and PlayStation I don't have to worry about that too much about getting rid of their physical media in the near future despite what sales margins might tell you otherwise.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
I have a Series S for taking with me while I leave the X at home. I agree. I could travel with a few discs.

Cheaper to buy physical at most points than waiting for the elusive digital sale.

haotshy

Oct 27, 2017
Games that are sold as new should actually be new, which is at least guaranteed with digital.

Dunking on Gamestop aside I want to keep disc drives.