Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xdarkangelle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2004
Okay, I've searched back a few pages here and on the apple site, but have yet to see answers for my exact problem. I hope someone has the answer or can point me to the answer. :)

As of right now the battery of my mini is dead and currently being charged. So, I get the battery symbol that is not animated on the screen. Previous to this whenever I would turn my Ipod on I would get the apple and then that would turn into the Ipod with a sad face and then turn off. Now that I am charging my Ipod it switches to all three at random intervals. Apple. Sad face. Battery. It waits awhile with only the battery showing then switches again.

Accoording to the apple site to cure the sad face I am supposed to restore the Ipod. I am fine with that, everything is backed up. Yet how am I supposed to to restore it when my computer won't read the Ipod and all the symbols keep switching on me?

I only purchased the Ipod in June, so I know I can send it back I was just hoping this was a problem I could fix.

Thank you!

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
It's not sounding terribly fixable but I'd leave it unplugged overnight to let it cool off, then plug it into the computer in the morning and reinstall the firmware using the iPod Software Updater. You'll have more luck with it while it's cold. :)

Having said that, it's sounding like a failing iPod (obviously) and will probably need to be replaced soon anyway.

I'm guessing you've read this page. :)

xdarkangelle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2004
How can I reinstall even if my computer won't read the Ipod? I can't get it into disk mode because of the sad face issue.

Thanks again. :)

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Well, I thought you were saying that you an sometimes get into the iPod from Disk Utility. The chances of getting in will be much higher when the iPod is stone motherless cold - more specifically, when the hard drive is cold.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.